MichaelH: good post, as Joel said.  Good rundown of the pluses and
minuses of each system.

I'd been using bar end shifters (friction) on my main bike for years
and when I built up my Rambouillet I decided to go back to DT shifters
(friction still) with a compact double (42/26... very compact!).  I
LOVE the DT shifters.  What did it for me is the shifting with one
hand technique that Michael mentions.  When riding with DT shifters
20+ years ago I didn't know that trick, but it's so obvious once
someone tells you or you figure it out.  Makes double shifts (for me
that usually means 1 in front, 2 in back at the same time) so easy and
fast.  I'm using the Campy FD that Michael mentions (that Riv sells --
I assume that's what MH refers to) and it's like butter.  Doing the
double (front/back simultaneous) shift is no more work than just
shifting the rear.  This is with the Silver shifters if that matters.

One point of terminology and maybe this has changed since I last paid
attention, but I thought SIS stood for "Shimano Index Shifting"
(whereas Suntour has Accushift) and so it just means indexed shifting
(which can be w/ DT, bar end, or integrated shifters).  But maybe now
SIS is synonymous with brifters.  Ah well, who knows.

At any rate, good stuff.  There's really no substitute for trying out
the different options and seeing what feels best.  But also no penalty
for sticking with what you know you already like!

Stuart Fletcher
Seattle, WA