Off-Rivendell-topic, but I'd love to see a photo of the Porter. Dave
is an ABQ cycling fixture and has done a couple of frame modifications
for me: I am tempted to have him build me a no-holds-barred, light
fancy fixed gear for 622 wheels (all my good fixies are Rivendell 571s
or 559s) out of 853 or some other cutting edge steel tubing. He is
quite reasonable, from my brief inquiries, starting at about 1,200 or
so. He showed me a mid-size road frame he recently built that he
claims weighs 2.5 lb or so.

His tt frames won records 20 years ago or so.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:20 AM, JimD <rasterd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I have a ~ 20 year old Dave Porter custom that uses down tube shifters. I've
> ridden that bike a bunch and
> am fond of the shifters.
> I use bar ends on my 63 cm Riv.
> I've pondered using down tube shifters on the Riv.
> For me the reach to down tube shifters on the larger Riv would be somewhat
> awkward compared to the 60 cm Porter.
> I find the bar ends to be functionally terrific on the Riv
> To my eye down tube shifter trump bar ends, aesthetically speaking.
>
> On Sep 14, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Steve Palincsar wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 11:47 -0700, MichaelH wrote:
>
> Silver or DurAce BE plus standard brake levers - Shimano, Cane Creek
>
> etc will be lighter than any brifter on the market - but not enough to
>
> influence a decision.
>
> No, if you use bar end or downtube shifters plus regular brake levers,
> it's probably going to be because you prefer them, not because you are
> counting grams (although they do weigh less) or dollars (although they
> are cheaper).

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact