Justin:

My experience with 8 speed is with the ancient Suntour Bar Cons, & I
have no problems.  I try indexing from time to time but the fussiness,
even with 8, keeps me coming back to friction.  I travel with my
Atlantis so it gets packed & shipped.  It always seems to take a
couple of days on a tour to get the indexing working correctly.

Riv says if you like the old Bar Cons, you'll love the Silvers.  May
give them a try, just for fun.

dougP