Justin:

Cassette selection will depend on your kind of riding.  You mentiona
48 tooth big ring.  An 11 small cog won't see much use.  48 x 13 is a
useful top gear, and you can get decent spacing and a nice low with
that as a starting point.  Harris' customs are around $60.  A cheap
option is 12-32 from Nashbar / Performance but the 12 is kinda
useless.  I've tried the cheapies and they seem to wear more quickly
but I think they're under $20.

dougP