This may seem like a hassle, but it really isn't too much trouble,
depending on where you live, and can be quite cheap: I'll make a run
through the local thrift/Goodwill stores looking for decent pants. I
try to find merino wool, but some of the funkier fabrics work quite
well. Then, I have the pants converted into shorts or knickers via
hemming and pegging.

A couple years ago, I acquired a live-in seamstress and this really
helps. Her improvements included removing the front pockets and sewing
the opening down so that there is less friction when churning the
legs. I ask her to leave one rear pocket functional, which is where I
normally tote a camera.

She recently felt overworked and taught me how to do the same
alterations on the sewing machine. They really are quite easy, as long
as you have someone to pin you initially to get a proper fit. So far,
I have plus-four and plus-two knicker conversions, along with several
shorts conversions. Currently, I'm working on an easy approach to
adding in a gusset.

Overall, though, I like the fact that I can get the features I want
and a good fit. Also, if I'm patient enough in searching a couple of
shops over a period of a couple of months, I can usually find a fabric
I like. All for less than $10 a piece.

Anyway, here are some pics:
http://tinyurl.com/23vldvc
http://tinyurl.com/2dojop6