FWIW, my method is simply to cut and add velcro; I leave the pockets
on -- they are very useful, especially in winter when one doesn't have
access to rear jersey pockets. I favor high rise, pleated, full cut
dress trousers for comfort when in the hoods or hooks, of tightly
woven gabardine or plain weave wool for wear; so far, except for
shininess and saddle smudging, mine show little wear after several
seasons. I cut mine long, plus 8, hem and add long velcro because I
like them snugged up tight under the knee with a lot of bag.

FWIW, mine come out of the washer, Kookabura and delicates wash, hang
dry, looking decent.