On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 08:38 -0700, Montclair BobbyB wrote:

> It's funny... back in college in the late 70s I owned a nice TA-style
> canvas handlebar bag (a knockoff I am sure), and after catching so
> much grief from my friends with sleek nylon handlebar bags, I actually
> developed a disdain for my big clunky, and obviously "unstylish" TA
> bag... But then again, I rode with a "Skid-Lid" back then, so what the
> hell did I know?  I guess karma must be catching up with me; after
> casting that old handlebar bag aside (that I would today give my right
> arm for), it seems only fitting that today I would probably have to
> pay more than the original cost for the privilege of owning such a
> thing of beauty...

What's /really/ funny is how much better the "old style" canvas bags
perform than the "sleek" nylon bags, especially when it comes to keeping
out the water.  I've had my two Berthoud bags out in many hours long
driving rain, and the interior of the the bags have always stayed
completely dry.  I also have a Kirtland Tour Pack nlyon handlebar bag,
and it has no water resistance whatever.  (Of course, the interior
coating dried out and peeled off like a nasty sunburn, which is typical
for old Kirtland stuff.)