Agree, besides fluctuation of the yen, another reason might be profit
margin. That Shimano RD might retail for $30, but cost Riv $20. In
contrast, the Microshift RD might also retail for $30, but cost Riv
only $12. If that's the case, can you blame Riv for sourcing the
cheaper derailleur when it does the exact same thing? Good Luck!