This type of thinking is where I am at as well. My alignment with the
big ring and the 7 speed mid cog is around 66 gear inches.  I set up
my Atlantis style clone bike (LHT) with a 107 bottom bracket which
favors the inner cogs somewhat and I also used a spacer of course,
with the seven speed cassette further aligning the middle cog. I don't
get as much sideways chain bend with the mid ring which seems to be
when the chain is maximally tensioned (during climbing) and in my mind
increasing wear. I seldom ride the big ring with my 12 tooth except
when maybe low tension spinning on a downhill or tailwind scenario. My
goals have been to acheive maximum drive train life at low cost and
gearing that I most often use with the best possible chain alignment.
I think the shift (no puns intended) toward 10 speed and now 11 speed
cog sets will prove to be unpopular when riders realize the durability
and safety factors involved, not to mention the higher costs. I like a
seven cog cassette as I know I have three cogs to each side of my mid
position when viewing the shift lever and it helps me think about my
shifting pattern when riding.  I get an easy shift off the front to a
48 inch gear with my mid ring which works for me when I come to a stop
at a light....so I am happy with it so far. The only thing better
might be a Phil Wood hub/ symmetrical wheel and a seven freewheel. Not
sure though.