Have thought about this a bit.  Probably my 8 speed will end up going
to nine.  As it is cassette, the switch shouldn't be too painful.

For 7 speed, well, will probably purchase a couple more freewheels so
the Hillborne will be set.  Unless, of course, I sell that bike to
purchase something that takes fat tires (3" plus).

While am somewhat anxious about the switch to 10 speed, also not too
worried.  Seems to me "back in the stone age" when 7 first came out,
it was terribly unreliable.  Remember hanging around a bike shop and
hearing horror stories of chains snapping, cogs breaking, etc.  All
the grey hairs were sticking with 4 and 5 speed as the only reliable
source.  Some were willing to risk 6 speed.  Even if the SunTour
chains were not good.  (I snapped three of those in one year.)

Doesn't mean I'm hopping on the 10 speed train.  But am not going to
totally discount it, either.

But for my Rivendell, probablyalmostcertainly not.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN