My Bleriot and Rambouillet both have bare cable underneath.  They were
set up by pro's (paid mechanics... not me) so I assume they know what
they are doing.  Paint rub appears minimal and no rust (riding here my
bikes get pretty wet....off to get one of them wet right now!).

Rob Markwardt
Seattle, WA