On my Atlantis I had a problem with the cables coming out of the
guides.  Not huge, only happened every now & again.  But it's a pain
to fuss with when the bike is loaded down with 4 panniers.  When I
finally had to replace the BB (6 years, I think) I drilled & tapped a
hole in the BB shell and added a plastic cable guide.  The paint was
fine.  FWIW I may be the only person to ever have the cable wandering
problem.

dougP