I too experience the occasional problem with the rear derailer cable dropping out of the BB cable guide on my Riv custom and Saluki. I've encountered this when removing the rear wheel - usually in the midst of a flat repair. If this event is in the midst of a driving rain storm
the cable is almost guaranteed to fall out of the guide.   ;>)

I use the inner liner from brake cable housing on the derailer cables where they run under the BB - works great.

-JimD