I think the stories goes (I read it either from GP or jobst brandt,
can't remember which) that prior to SIS compression-less housing
coming along, most der. housing was floppy, wound stuff that wouldn't
support the weight of a long arch from shifter to downtube, so you had
to route it up under the tape.  Once stiffer housing came along you
could do it either way, and people did.