I did precisely this in order to minimize hassle for changing
handlebars.

And while I enjoy knowing mileage (mostly total mileage) the main
feature I use is the clock. If I'm not going to make my hoped for
train, I have alternatives if I know early enough. So it is sctially a
daily decisionmaking tool. Never could stand wearing a watch.

BTW, I've never found any wireless computer to be reliable on the
handlebars; mine are higher than most, and the distance challenges
them. A Sigma Sport came close. But it would sometimes just fail.
Also, I can't be bothered to push a button everytime I take off. I
never saw an actual "autostart" wireless. And the do use batteries
faster, though if batteries last a few months (my Sigma Sport's lasted
about 9) , it's not too demanding to preemptively replace them.

But now I'm wired and liking it. Perhaps one day I'll
"upgrade" ("smartgrade"?) to a cheap stick-on dashboard clock!

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean