The best bike routes tend to be in places with few cars and few
people. Cellular system optimization leaves these areas with coverage
that is spotty at best. The current generation smartphone mapping apps
are all relying on this network with spotty rural coverage to deliver
the local maps.  These systems may not ever provide reliable mapping
for cyclists.

Of course, complete map databases have been available for years both
for PCs/laptops and also handheld GPSs. Does anybody know of an iphone
or android app that uses a downloaded hi-res map? Nowadays, the
martphones do have the memory to hold an entire national map.

...Roy