I've got three major experiences: BART, Amtrak California, and Amtrak

-BART allows bicycles to roll on but only during non-commute hours,
which is great for one-time trips or if you're lucky enough to have a
flexible commuting schedule but sucks if you actually want to do a
multi-modal commute (esp. across the bay).  If the car is crowded you
often have to stand with your bike, which isn't that bad since most
trips are only about 20-30 mins.
-Amtrak California, at least on the Capital Corridor line (San Jose-
Sacramento) allows you roll on bikes and there's usually at least one
car with racks for ~10 bikes.  Busy times (holidays/weekends), it can
be hard to find a spot, but the vast majority of times it's easy to
find one.  Great for when I visit the Bay Area from Sacramento, i
usually bring a bike.
-It's not roll-on but a lot of the longer distance amtrak lines (I
took the coast starlight from sacramento-seattle and portland-
sacramento this past summer) allow you to check a boxed bike as
luggage, but their boxes (available at the station) are significantly
easier than boxing a bike for shipping or airline travel.  The amtrak
boxes are big enough that all you have to do is take off your pedals
and turn your handlebars sideways and then roll the bike into the
box.  Tall folks like me with high saddles might have to drop their
saddle some.  So, not as easy as roll on but still pretty easy,
especially if you're traveling overnight.