Jim:

For all those with folding bikes, S&S coupled bikes or who live near a
train hub with baggage service, life is good.  But I have none of
these options, and neither do most people living along train routes.
And to be fair I did consider the box option.  When planning my
Washington trip I even looked into taking a local train back to Newark
(in the opposite direction) so I could arrange for a box (which BTW
Amtrak recommends you reserve ahead of time, since they don't usually
have them readily on hand and need to deliver to the station).  But
then I wondered what would I do with the box once I arrive in
Washington?  I'd essentially have to discard it, and purchase a new
one for the return trip.  Aside from the wasteful aspect, it creates a
somewhat risky logistics challenge, especially if the box doesn't show
up at the right time and place. Sorry to say that bike and train via
Amtrak is not something one can spontaneously pull off on the fly...
it requires a good deal of planning, logistics, and (frankly) major
inconvenience.

I suppose I could take a bus, too...if I'm willing to pedal to a major
bus station. There are buses that will take my unboxed bike and store
it in the luggage bay as-is... This is OK, but I wouldn't store my Riv
down there without protecting it from getting tossed around.  I at
least applaud the bus companies for attempting to accommodate the
need...

Hey, I just took my bike to and from Philly on the train this
weekend.  It took 2 trains (which I was fine with), but while I waited
for the local train, 2 Amtrak trains passed me by, each one heading
through Philly.  It's a bloody shame I'm not allowed to ride these
trains with my bike, even though I'd be willing to pay extra to ride
Amtrak.

Thanks,
BB