I'm newly "returned" to bikes after many years hiatus, and it seems to
me there is an amazing amount of product out there. Of course, the
internet didn't exist the last time I went shopping for bike stuff, so
my "universe" was only as large as the shelves of my local LBS, and
maybe a catalog or two.

Beth H makes a good point that Riv is responsible for maintaining, or
resurrecting, interest in lot of this even if they can't be expected
to actually make and sell it all themselves.

I always think more options are better.