I use some of everything.

Sidi Genius and Speedplay lollipop pedals.  Currently on my gofast.  I
like them very much for riding.  They are among the worst ever for
putting one's foot down

Shimano treaded road shoes and Shimano Mountain shoes with Old
generation Shimano SPD pedals (2 pairs of 747's and even a pair or two
of 737s).  I use these a lot.  I use them for mountain riding, and
have them currently on the Hilsen, and on the tandem.

Sidi Cyclocross shoes without cleats.  Detto Cyclocross shoes without
cleats.  MKS Sylvan and Suntour Sprint toe clip and strap pedals.  I
don't have these on any bike right now, but I use them frequently on
the gofast when I tire of the stupid walking characteristics of the
lollipop cleats.  The Detto Shoes are NOS and need some breaking in,
before I decide on some custom outsole mods that I want my cobbler to
do for me.  Maybe those will go back on soon...

Grip King (supremes!) and Sneaker pedals with nearly every shoe I own,
including Vans, Puma Slip ons, Adidas Sambas, and leather dress
shoes.  The only thing that I find that bugs me is that some shoes
have a taller stack up than others.  The Clarks I have on right now
make my saddle feel a few mm too low.

I have some cheap Adidas SPD shoes and a few pairs of cheap wellgo/
Ritchey pedals, but I don't use those really at all anymore.  They
work fine, though, especially the pedals.