My favorite "shoes" for everything including commuting are the Chaco
Flip leather flip flops. Their only shortcoming is the fact that the
strap is made out of a double layer of very thin nubuck, and my first
pair cracked after 2 years of almost no-stop daily use, despite
judicious use of Proofide. The similar Cordonazo seems to have thicker
leather straps.

But Chaco replaced them under warranty, so I'll keep wearing them.
Utterly comfortable, just the right amount of arch support for me, and
no plastic-induced stink. When these wear out and don't get replaced,
I'll try some of these Piper Sandals: handmade by a family in Texas,
$120, and they do custom as well: http://www.pipersandals.com/

For longer rides I use Chaco plastic sandals, or Keen sandals when
heading through thorny underbrush or when it gets cold (<60 F).

Gernot