Good question.  Early on, jumped on the "MTB" bandwagon, which meant
bullmoose.  Or other, later flat bars.  When getting back into biking
after the long layoff, again, flat bars were where I headed.  In part
due to my size and previous hand problems.

However, in the past couple of years, have moved more and more towards
drops.  In fact, at present, three of my bikes have drops.  Only one
that doesn't is the Brompton.  (Which is on very long term loan, with
hope to sell.)  Originally had set up my touring bike with flat bars.
Switched to Noodles this spring.  Giving it a try this winter.  Have
to admit, it's a different set of muscles and balance to ride drops in
winter.  So far, though, so good.

Even my present "adventure bike" is set up with drops.  Although the
Salsa Woodchippers are unlike any other drop I've ridden.

So genetic?  Probably not.  More the whim of the rider.  But there is
something nice and "there" about good flat bars.  Whether they be
bullmose or otherwise.

Gee, now you're making me think about another winter project.  Flat
bars, mmmm.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN