on 1/3/11 11:10 AM, William at tapebu...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the write up.  I'm ramping up for my first 200k brevet on
> the 22nd.  Several key points for me:
>
> 1.  It's possible, even if it's cold windy and rainy
> 2.  Be happy how well my bike handles with a largish handlebar bag
> 3.  Fill said handlebar bag with food
> 4.  Commit oneself to consume said food

William, for your ride, I'd add "Know the route"

I think you are talking about the SFR 200K Lighthouse Brevet.  There are a
few routing challenges early on (and the last 20 miles), so if you aren't
familiar with the course, you might run just the first leg (to Fairfax) and
back.  Each time I've ridden it, we've picked up "out-of-towners" who had
gotten themselves good and lost (mostly on the return leg).

The leg out to the Lighthouse can be challenging. No services or water
easily accessible once you roll past Inverness. It's very exposed once you
get past the oyster farms, and the Lighthouse Point looks vvveeerrrryyy far
away when you first glimpse it. But, most of that is just a mental
challenge.

It is a gorgeous, wonderful ride, and the SFR group is top drawer.

- Jim "Work schedule making me miss that one this year..."

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Three T-shirts Now Available:
"I've Got Downtube Shifters..." S/S T-shirt
Cyclocross - "More Cowbell" L/S T-shirt
"One Cog - Zero Excuses" L/S T-shirt
http://www.cyclofiend.com/stuff

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com