On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM, CycloFiend <cyclofi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I think you are talking about the SFR 200K Lighthouse Brevet.  There are a
> few routing challenges early on (and the last 20 miles), so if you aren't
> familiar with the course, you might run just the first leg (to Fairfax) and
> back.  Each time I've ridden it, we've picked up "out-of-towners" who had
> gotten themselves good and lost (mostly on the return leg).

Yeah-- if you're a cyclist in San Francisco, you've probably done that
first/last 25 miles a zillion times and it seems routine. But if
you're from out of town, it's a complicated route over the bridge,
through the confusing section at the north end of the bridge (where
the routing changes by time of day and is complicated on the return
trip) and then a rather dreary ride through 47 suburbs with random
turns here and there. It's easy to get lost; I have done so several
times.

So if doing that brevet, find a local friend to ride with.

--
-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels