On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 12:47 -0800, cyclotourist wrote:
> No big deal if the chex are gone.   Look at the rear and see if it's
> starting to square off instead of being round.  That'll be a good sign
> that the end is imminent.

I don't know  about the Jack Browns, but with the Ruffy Tuffy you could
generally get over 2,000 miles more after the checks wore off.  The
tread on the RT was rather thick, and even with the tread absolutely
squared off there was still plenty of tread left.

> From there it'll start being more common to get flats due to the
> thinner rubber.

That's the most reliable sign in my experience.