on 1/8/11 10:28 AM, Philip Williamson at philip.william...@gmail.com wrote:
> Stayed out of it as long as I could,

Word.

<admin hat>

Yep.  General "Diet" threads are OT.  OT threads within the confines of this
group are, well... "OT".

Of course, GP keeps mucking up the waters by posting about it and bringing
up the Primal and Taube approaches.  And since you probably don't know me
well enough to know that I'm chuckling as I type that, here's the
emoticon... ;^)  In other words, there's more of a spectrum sometimes than a
hard edge.

I think it's good to ask basic questions, consider them thoroughly and
consider the assumptions you retain and adhere to. I'd guess that most of us
have found our way to Rivendell bicycles and this group because we
questioned the assumptions of the Bike Industry - that racing was the core
design tenet, that we'd "get used to" the discomfort we felt on a bike, that
when it rained we got sluiced or rode the trainer inside...

In other words, I think it's in our (and I mean this group's) wiring to dig
down on these topics.

It's also winter, which means that for many of us, a few more months will
pass until we can feel the real breeze upon our cheeks and the hiss of tires
upon the road.  That means it's a real possibility to get a bit wrapped up
in the conversation as an end to itself. It let's us live vicariously, enjoy
the intensity of feeling which goes with an invigorating ride.

There's always a point in every thread where diminishing returns begin to
occur.  There's a point in some threads where it's more of a two way chat
than a general topic of discussion. Historically, we as a group have been
excellent at knowing when to disengage, take it to a private back channel or
simply agree to disagree.

We are not the iBob group, and as I've said before in various "State of The
List Reports", our strength and vitality as a group stems from the
specificity of our topic - Rivendell Bicycle Works. It's ulimately up to
each of us to maintain that balance.

This probably ought to just morph into a SOTL Report...

</admin hat>

- Jim

Previous SOTLR's -
http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/sotlr