I don't know that there is a "best vehical" Maybe it's more a best method
based on application.

Roof racks have been great from me.  Especially when traveling with three
people, bikes and gear.
They have worked on cars, mini vans and my current Escape.  The Element we
have will barely get my bike insdie., and I have no chance of getting three
bikes, people and gear in it.

For around town nothing is easier than the roof rack and it has fork locks,
rack locks and cable locks.

Bikes getting rained on is no biggie, I ride in the rain and in the mud
etc.  The brooks saddle cover keeps the seat nice and dry.

For me the ideal vehical would be the full sized van with a  gear carrier
hanging off the trailer hitch. That way I can carry 4 bikes inside with
comfortable seating for all and carry the gear.

I also have mountain bikes and do get muddy which sucks putting in the car.

The rear outside racks I've used tend to promote scatches and dings on the
bikes.  But for ease of use they are great.

The one mini van I had that worked great didn't have a rear bench seat so
the rear tires could go between the two rear seats.  But I don't have that
anymore.. life of company cars that get changed at employers choice every
two years.

Just as we make trade offs on bicycle tires, gear, comfort on our bikes
etc.. we make trade offs with our vehicals.
Practical for one is not for the next.

For most activities the roof rack covers all my needs.  Including ability to
carry the Tandem and people and muddy mountain bikes.  Bike bras keep the
bugs off for longer trips even if it kills gas milage.

Point being for me ... it's rare to have a single bike or person going to a
ride.  Ability for minimum of 3 and 4 would be better.

Kelly