Kelly -

Just in case I sounded dismissive - there's nothing 'wrong' with low
gearing, your knees will thank you for it. And if you can ride at 1-2
MPH up those grades it sounds like you've got the right stuff
happening.  A lot of the weaving or unsteadiness has to do with your
balance fore and aft, as well as technique - but that's a subject for
another thread.

Enjoy the ride.

Phil B

`On my tour bikes I have 24x36 and had 30x34 on the last.. but 24x36
at 1 or
`2 mph is fine for me.. drink coffee and ease on up.  No in Missouri
we get a
`lot of 12% and on some hills we average 15 to 18%.. I have parks and
places
`with ¼ mile climbs over 20% average.    So I’ll take the gears.. and
even if
`you pass me while walking it’s easier to pedal than push.

`Just how I look at it.. and I don’t weave all over the place either.