Hi Rob

I've been riding all those same roads since my first double century in
1983. Up through the 80s, including when I raced RAAM in 1987, nobody
had a lower gear than 42x23. We sneered at C-Record when it came out
with a 39 tooth small ring. Eventually I got older, grew out of my
skinny teenager body, and started riding up much steeper climbs (Santa
Monica Mountains, for ex) and started running a 39 tooth front with a
25, then 26, then 27, and then finally a 28 largest rear cog.

Nowadays I run a 39/48 in front (or 38/48 on some cranks) and 11/28 in
rear. I can get up anything on that 39/28 low gear, including the vast
majority of the Rough Riding adventures in which I partake. I'm not a
fan of triple cranks and only have them on my two mountain bikes and
mountain bike tandem. I don't like "compact doubles," either, because
the jump is so wide between, for example, 34 to 48.

- Chris Kostman
La Jolla, CA
http://www.XO-1.org
http://www.adventurecorps.com