I did this with my early 80s Specialized Stumpjumper, and I concluded it was
a bad idea on that bike. Ultimately, I went back to 26" for the greatly
increased variety of suitable tires. I used the Paul Motolite brakes (not
worth the $$$ IMO), but it could probably be done with other cantilever
brakes. In my experience, V-brakes tend to have more adjustment, generally.
You need only a half-inch of upward adjustment, and I'm just guessing Grant
designed the bike around having the pads closer to the bottom of the slot
for typical cantilevers. My sense is that brakes are not likely to be much
of a stumbling block.