Hey guys,

A couple of questions, 1 on topic, 1 off!

On topic first: My almost new hillborne has suffered from chainsuck
almost since day 1. Built up by Riv with all the usual Riv bits. 9 spd
SRAM chain, Sugino RD2 triple and shimano 7spd freewheel. 30 minutes
into a dusty bumpy ride (the problem is mostly on dusty singletrack)
and I would get chain suck during downshifts or when beginning to
climb a steep incline. I took the chain off to check the chain length
- it is spot on (overlap + 1 link). I then cleaned the chain (used
bottle bath with paint thinner) and relubed it with hot wax, using an
80%/20% paraffin/beeswax mix. The chain ran beautifully after that,
quiet and smooth shifting, no suck at all. Then, just one dusty ride
later, the chain suck came back, albeit much less severe than before.
I would expect chainsuck if I was downshifting under load, but I'm
shifting well before the incline, and can also get chain suck mid-way
on the climb with no shifting involved.

I searched the group for chainsuck posts, but all of them apply to
worn chains / chain rings, which doesn't seem to be the case since
everything is virtually new even now. I emailed Keven and his advice
was to use some zipties on the chainstay as an anti-chainsuck device.
I haven't tried it yet, I probably will soon, but some part of me
wants to find a way to nip the problem at the cause rather than add a
anti-suck gadget. Any ideas appreciated!

Off topic question: I have a 2007 Giant XTC team with a really noisy
BB. It makes scraping sounds like a badly adjusted disc brake, and is
virtually constant when pedalling, except when standing to pedal,
during which it is silent when the right pedal is descending, and
noisy again when the left pedal descends. It is silent when pedalling
without load (bike on the stand). I figured that the BB (then, a
Shimano Hollowtech II) was worn, since there was about a 1/2 mm of
side to side play on the crank, and a gritty feel when turning the
crank without a chain on.

I brought it to a "good" bike shop here (subjective in Chiang Mai).
They replaced the BB with an Aerozine ceramic bearing BB (outboard
also). The new BB eradicated free play and is very smooth spinning,
yet, when I'm on the bike, the BB is still making that noise. My best
guess is the installing mechanic did not pack (enough) grease into it
- what would the wisdom on the group suggest?

Ride on!