This topic comes up repeatedly.  The discussions typically focus on
treatment, which is natural, because you just want the thing to go
away.  But understanding the cause is usually helpful in figuring out
the treatment.  The cause is as follows:

You grab your front brake, which tries to stop the wheel rotating.
The road is pushing back on your tire and your body's forward momentum
is pushing forward on the front hub.  This moment tries to bend back
the front fork.  You can do this part for yourself in the garage.
Lock up the front brake and push forward on the bike.  Everyone with
me?  Cool.

Now look at the cable.  The length of cable going from the hanger down
to the brake is hanging in space in FRONT of the fork which is flexing
BACK.  The distance the cable spans is increasing, effectively making
the cable shorter, which is going to tighten the front brake, the same
way tightening your grip would have.  This makes the force at the fork
greater, flexing it more, tightening the brake more, and so on.  This
is a positive feedback that only stops when something lets go, and on
the road, the thing that lets go is the road/tire interface.  The tire
momentarily lets go of the road, and the fork springs back forward
which loosens the brake.  When the tire hits the ground again it
starts up all over again.

This is the process, and it's not as well known as it should be.
Forks with more flex and grabbier brakes exacerbate this.  Extreme toe
in techniques work because they make the brakes less grabby.  Others
have success with other brake pad compounds.  I ran ceramic rims on a
cross bike for just this reason, since ceramics and their associated
green brake pads offer a very smoothly modulating brake surface.  They
almost never grab.  A brake booster would only help to the extent that
it keeps toed in pads from flattening out.  In that way, the booster
kind of acts as a de-booster, since it keeps the brakes from being too
powerful.

The thing that is common to most of our Rivendells is an extremely
tall head tube and consequently a really long cable run from hanger to
brake.  The other very common technique to address this is to make
that run of cable as short as possible by using a fork crown hanger.
Now most of that cable run down to the hanger is housing, which flexes
along with the fork and doesn't tighten the cable.  I put a crown
hanger on the Bombadil for exactly this reason.  Mounting the hanger
here takes any flex of the steerer and the crown out of the equation.
It's now only flexing of the blades from the crown down to the brake
posts that will feed into the tightening/flexing/tightening
feedback.

One of the old sages wrote on this on the internet.  I don't remember
if it was Jobst or Qvale or another one of the masters.  That's where
I learned about it.  Here's a photo of that hanger setup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/5236889932/