My guess is that an LHT would be a bigger theft target than a
Hillborne, as it is far easier to resell. I'd get a Sam.

I have 46cm noodles on the Sam, 48s on a monstercross. I don't notice
the difference, but of course the bikes are different in many ways. I
am 5"9.5". I also don't think the 48s look wide, even on a tiny 17"
frame:

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2010/cc797-gernothuber0510.html
(Look at second to last photo)

Cheers,