Everyone else is chiming in.....so.....

I wear a helmet when mountain biking in my typical fashion.  I ride NC
and Southeast singletrack with very steep, rocky descents as fast as I
can.  I have broken more than one helmet via crashes.  It would be
idiotic to not wear a helmet.  I suspect even the anti-helmet crowd
would see the sense in a helmet here.

I wear a helmet when doing 'go fast' road rides.  For me, in this
situation, there's no good reason not to.

I do not bother with a helmet when riding to the park, pedaling around
on a beach vacation, or even heading downtown for errands, etc.

My father on the other hand religously wears a helmet....he WILL NOT
sit on a bike without a helmet.  This seems silly to me.  Most of the
'mountain biking' I see on the Riv site looks perfectly fine for
helmetless riding.

IMO fighting against helmets on a widespread basis is pointless.  Make
your own decisions.

Anyone been on the ski slopes recently?  Talk about creating a market
out of nothing!  I don't know ANYONE who has ever taken a serious
knock while skiing, but suddenly 30%+ of the market is wearing a
shell.