Rex: isn't that the hard way to get a derailleur bike? Wouldn't it make more
sense to use a hub gear?

I keep thinking that I ought to get a multispeed rear wheel for at least one
of my fixies, but it would be a hub gear wheel that I could, largely, just
shove in the dropouts and ride.

FWIW, I find rolling terrain the most fun when riding fixed. I do have
larger flip cogs on all my fixeds for  long and steeper hills (over 1 mile
with no respite, say); for shorter hills I stand or, at need, walk.

I'd suggest trying the terrain with what you have, first -- you might find
it easier than you thought. One big secret to hills is pacing yourself.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM