I've got a 650b-wheeled Quickbeam (just for reference) and I live in a
pretty flat area.  I found the 32-tooth ring unusably small so I
replaced the triple crank with a double and got rid of the chain
guard.  (it's on my 1X9 Kogswell Kommuter now)  I'm running a 38/40 up
front, with a 17-19 dos enos freewheel on one side and a 16 fixed cog
on the other.  I find the 38-19 a good relaxed/recovery or dirt road
gear and the 40/17 good for a feelin' strong day.  The fixed I don't
use much but when the mood hits me it's good to know it's there...

Gratuitous pics:

Quickbeam:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40738390@N08/4761697089/

Kogswell: