jandrews

For commentary on their ride quality I'd talk to Jay at Rivendell.
Regarding the 40s vs the 50s, here is my thought process.  Riv says
the 40s measure a true 38.89.  So if the 50s are really 10mm wider,
that's basically 49mm wide.  I took the calipers to my 56cm Hillborne
this morning.  At the fork blades and the seatstays there's plenty of
room.  It's the chainstays where it gets a little cozy.  I measured
54mm.  So maybe 2-2.5mm of clearance on either side.  That would work
awesome as a baloon tire road bike or for dry trails.  But if you
tried to mud it up at all, or if you are looking to squeeze fenders
around those 50s, it's my opinion that it'll be too tight.  If the
tires were $40 apiece, I'd buy a set of each for my Hillborne, but at
$72 a tire, I'm going to try the 40s first.  The trails over the hill
from my home in Wildcat Canyon are still pretty muddy, but I want to
get an off-road route to my office established by summertime.  Once
things dry out more, I might go back for a pair of 50s as well.

Bill