Speaking of derailing (teehee)....if the OP is still a list member who
is asking for a derailer recommendation for a Bombadil, then I'd
disagree with all of these vintage 5/6 speed derailers.  I am totally
convinced that a deerhead XT or a Duopar, or a Rally might work
perfectly for those of you who are lauding their attributes.  But I
think that in part has to do with your using them on a 120mm rear end
with a 5 speed freewheel.  If the OP is building a Bombadil, he's got
a 135mm rear end.  If he's using a current Phil Freewheel hub, then
he's going to have room for a 7-speed freewheel.  Will any of those
vintage derailers have the range of motion to even cover a 7-speed
freewheel?  Will they do it well?  Even if he uses an old 5-speed
freewheel or a 6-speed freewheel, will he have to use spacers to move
the freewheel outboard to even work with the range limits of these
derailers from the 1970's or 1980's?  Is it really worth the effort?

The rear derailer that I know will work beautifully is the couple year
old Shimano Deore XT M760.  It's not the least bit retro, so if a
particular old-school look is what the OP is after, this derailer
fails at that.  If instead, he wants impeccably reliable shifting in
friction mode, that derailer is unsurpassed in my opinion.  You can
find them new on closeout for $60.  Buy two or three of them and never
worry about a rear derailer for your Bombadil for the rest of your
life.  I've stocked up on the GS cage and the SGS cage of that
derailer.  The main attributes to me are:  it shifts perfectly, it's
available for less than retail in new condition, parts are still
readily available for it, it still has an adjuster barrel.