Back in 1991 I bought a Cannondale (very stiff frame) that came with a
standard quill stem.  I swapped it out for a hollow, welded stem that
had a much larger diameter extension.  The first time I stood up and
cranked the bike up a short steep rise I was astonished at how much
stiffer the front end of the bike felt.  The quill stem was allowing
the bars to twist, the new one wasn't.

That may or may not be seen as a good thing, but I have no doubt that
typical threadless stems are stiffer in torsion than traditional quill
stems.

Bill