I actually had the same problem with the IRD - the spring inside it
seemed to be immensely powerful, requiring me to tighten my shifter to
keep from autoshifting and requiring a lot of force to shift to a
bigger chainring. I switched back to the shimano altus from 1981 that
my bike originally had and it works much better for me. Maybe I'm
doing something wrong- I'm something of a bike noob.

On the thumb debate: I think the confusion stems from the use of the
word "downshift" - what Ginz meant (I think) is that he had to push
down on the shifter a lot in order to shift to a bigger chainring.

--Alex