Reporting back:

I found an old but lightly used Shimano XCE braze-on front der. on
eBay.  I swapped it for the IRD Alpina-d and, sure enough, the action
of my Silver shifter is a bit easier on my thumb.  Perhaps the lever
arm provides more leverage or the spring is a bit lighter.  Either
way, I'm sticking with the XCE. I imagine that if indexing,
specifically with brifters or rapid fire, the difference would be less
noticeable if at all.

If I can find a few more XCE's or similar to stock pile, I'll probably
unload my IRD's here!

Ginz