I have both sets, the smaller and the larger. Trangia says that the
smaller set is appropriate for one or two people, and the larger for
three or four. In my experience, the one person set is perfect for one
but too small for two and I doubt the larger set is big enough for
four.

It all depends on what you cook, though. If all you're doing is
boiling water for rehydration, you can get by with a smaller set. But
let's say you want to make a soup, or spaghetti. The smaller set can
cook spaghetti for one, but no more. Let's say you want pancakes for
breakfast. The smaller frying pan cooks about half enough pancakes for
one cyclist's breakfast at one time.

Trangia offers a cute little teakettle that nests inside the set,
though Rivendell doesn't sell it. I find the little teakettle useful.
Let's say, again, that you're having pancakes for breakfast, or maybe
scrambled eggs. First you heat up your water for your tea or coffee.
You don't want to use one of the pots, because the one and only pot
lid is also your frying pan, and you need that for your pancakes or
eggs. You make your tea, and you save some of the hot water for more
tea or for dishwashing. Now your frying pan is free for the pancakes.
By the way, pancakes and Nutella is the yum for breakfast; if you use
Krusteaz pancake mix, you just add water.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Mike <mjawn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering what peole's experiences are with the Trangia cook kits
> that Rivendell sells. They seem pretty cool. I've been using a pretty
> compact Snow Peak stove for the past two years for boiling water but
> am thinking that I might be more adventurous with my meals on bike
> camping trips. I haven't even begun looking a receipes with the kits
> yet but I'm sure there are tons on the interweb. If anyone on this
> list has experience with the cook kits I'd be curious to hear about
> them.
>
> --mike

-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels