This will probably get me a lot of flack but please keep in mind that
one of my non-RBW bike is a Claud Butler, so I'm no enemy of
tradition.  Having said that, I believe that each generation of
shifters has represented evolution and that the state of the art has
improved.  My Butler originally had Campy downtube shifters and, aside
from the question of reach, they were extremely vague and had a mind
of their own about shifting.  Before you get on me about adjustments,
please know that in addition to my own efforts these were adjusted by
very experienced mechanics including those at my LBS, Harris Cyclery.

I then went to Campy bar ends and found the position much better but
the shifting equally vague.  From there to Sun Tour bar ends and a
whole new world!  Using them in friction mode (I've never tried them
in indexed mode), these are still my favorites.  For a couple of
years, I had a Cannondale touring bike with Shimano STI brifters and I
have to say they were a pleasure.  I spend most of my time on the tops
and on the hoods and the STI's were convenient, effective and very
reliable.  While the STI indexing worked flawlessly, I still prefer
friction and have thus resorted to bar ends on both the Butler (Sun
Tour) and my Bleriot (Shimano).

I've heard the arguments that if you're in Katmandu and your STI's
break down, who's going to fix them.  Since the next time I'm in
Katmandu will be the first time, that's a bridge I'm willing to cross
later!

In the interest of full disclosure, I also have a Cervelo Soloist with
Dure Ace STI shifters but that's a completely different story!