I sold my Rambouillet and AHH.  I got a Boulder Brevet (700c) and
liked it so much that I just picked up a Boulder 650b frameset.  The
main improvement, IMO, is the lighter tubing which makes for a
livelier ride and the low trail geometry.  I am liking the plain-ness
of these TIG frames too.  That said, the lugged (Waterford-built)
Boulder frame would be my first choice for another lugged frame, and
it's a nice Riv alternative for 2k.

Custom bikes are unnecessary for me.  I have normal sizing, and there
are great off the shelf or semi-custom alternatives.  Just not worth
the extra time and money.  That said, if I did decide to go custom, a
Kirk fillet brazed frame or a Hampsten Strada Bianca would be at the
top of the list.  From what I hear David Kirk and Steve Hampsten are
both good to work with, and they make great bikes.