I  have ridden mountain bikes from inception, circa 1983. I rode my road
bike off road in the late '70's before the MTB came to be on the national
level but there just weren't the 700c tires available to do more technical
terrain. So I switched and rode MTB's almost exclusively.
Rigid bikes with 26"  1.8" knobbies (45mm) were great for all terrain. I
raced off and on for 10 years. Hard tails, full suspension, I rode at least
10 different 26" mountain bikes.
 So when 29er's came on the scene, I tried a Haro Mary hardtail and I was
quickly converted, The speed you can carry on the downhills, the increased
security in the corners. In fact I no longer wanted or needed rear
suspension.
Now I'm back to those fab "80's with 45mm knobbies except now I'm on 700c
tires and having a blast.

~mike