I look back on the last 15 years of my cycling life, and I gotta say.
Cantis suck. Single pivot sidepulls suck. The disc brakes on my weirdo
project bike brake very well, but go 'shk shk shk' in corners. The
nicer Avid v-brakes on my 1999 Bontrager have, aside from the initial
squealy pads ("hey, someone set these up without ceramic pads, let me
change that for you")... have been absolutely trouble free for 11
years. I've changed the pads a couple times. They have excellent
modulation, good stopping in wet or dry; I can do nosies on purpose,
but never on accident (well, once).

Cantis for me are a crapshoot. I've set up dynamite dialed-in cantis a
couple times, and as the pad wears, the braking degrades. Sometimes
the canti arm dives under the rim (well, once). I study the charts,
change out the pads (why should you even have to DO this?), finesse
the setup, and then forget everything I learned the next time I have
to set them up from scratch.

I just hate the way v-brakes look on a roadified bike. They look like
ass. I can't imagine putting them on my Quickbeam, but I don't want to
sell a bike just to buy some green anodized Paul cantis.

Actually, maybe I do.

 Philip

 Philip Williamson
www.biketinker.com