Aha. My rule-of-remembering has been "high profile = high hanger; low
profile = low hanger," just like Michael's, until I put this brake on
with every mm eked out of the straddle wire and it was still
disappointing. I'll try a long longer straddle wire, and possibly a
wider hanger first. And those Kool Stop pads.

As for the roller hangers, the coolest I've seen was on an old Chrome
Raleigh mountain bike. Super light, and it opened up so you could put
the wire in from the back, instead of threading it through the roller
hole. http://www.flickr.com/photos/philipwilliamson/4301739147/

 Philip (off to pick up a replacement S/A nut)

 Philip Williamson
www.biketinker.com