Thanks for that explanation, William,

that was enlightening, and jives with my experience. The way my non-
engineer's brain makes sense of this is this:

The main brake cable moves up when you engage the brake. For a high
profile canti to engage you also mostly need to pull up on the
straddle wire, and inward a little. On a low profile canti, you mostly
have to pull *in* on the straddle cable, while pulling up does very
little good. So on a low profile canti the straddle cable has to
change the direction of force from the main brake cable, and yes,
that's easy to get wrong. On a high profile canti, the straddle cable
serves merely as an extension of the brake cable transferring the
brake force to both arms. It doesn't have to change the direction of
the force, and is thus relatively immune to geometry. (I am sure this
explanation won't satisfy an engineer, but it works for me) :)

Gernot