This has been a very interesting thread to follow and I’ve been reluctant to
join in as I feel I’ve nothing terribly relevant to add to the many voices
which have already spoken here.
However, I think it is too easy to overstate the detrimental qualities of
certain foods:
". . . obesity isn't the only epidemic we're dealing with.  heart
disease, cancers, and chronic health issues can all be related to diet
and nutrition (or lack thereof) too.  diets that lead to disease have
the following markers:
-High in animal fats and protein
-High in unhealthy fats (saturated/trans)
-Low in fiber
-High in processed/packaged foods
-Low in complex carbs
-Low in plant-based foods. . . "

Well, not necessarily so.  The Amish have been studied extensively (or as
extensively as can be done given difficulties involving technology) for the
very reason of the high prevalence of high fat, high protein diets, obesity
rates vastly below that of non-Amish America, vastly lower cancer rates
(except perhaps breast cancer) than non-Amish America.

Along with their high fat, high protein, moderate carbs diet, the Amish
expend a great deal of energy daily.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17473766

http://www.endo-society.org/media/ENDO-07/research/Amish-children-tend-not-to-be-overweight-thanks-to-exercise.cfm

http://www.cancergenetics.med.ohio-state.edu/article.cfm?ID=5307

Of course, as some folks here have already mentioned, there’s a big
difference between not becoming overweight and trying to reduce body weight.
. .

I’ll return to my seat now J
lyle

On 31 August 2011 11:33, Patrick in VT <swing4...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 9:06 pm, grant <grant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As the book points out, and as anybody who tries it will see, your
> > blood scores vastly improve when you eat fat and protein
>
> there's more than 1 book and countless studies that say the opposite.
> again, weight loss vs. health.  lose weight, eat fatty foods, and keep
> exercise to a minimum ... doesn't sound like a recipe for reducing the
> risk of heart disease.  When roughly two thirds of Americans (to keep
> this conservation ethnocentric - because, as others have noted, the
> rest of the carb-eating world isn't epidemically fat) are overweight/
> obese, I do understand the emphasis on weight loss - and I think it's
> great that folks are finding ways of shedding the weight, whether it's
> with Taubes or their local weight watchers class.  whatever works.
>
> but obesity isn't the only epidemic we're dealing with.  heart
> disease, cancers, and chronic health issues can all be related to diet
> and nutrition (or lack thereof) too.  diets that lead to disease have
> the following markers:
>
> -High in animal fats and protein
> -High in unhealthy fats (saturated/trans)
> -Low in fiber
> -High in processed/packaged foods
> -Low in complex carbs
> -Low in plant-based foods
>
> not coincidentally, these are also the markers of a diet (which can
> rightly be called an American diet) that lead to obesity.
>
> can one lose weight on this diet?  absolutely.  does one also lose the
> risk of disease that goes hand in hand with these diet markers?
> absolutely not.

lyle f bogart dpt

156 bradford rd
wiscasset, me 04578