One place where I'd be inclined to choose indexing is for off road
riding where rough terrain makes smooth friction shifting hard to do.
As it is, my terrain is mostly flat, so I don't bother, but for
terrain that called for a lot more shifting, I'd be inclined to choose
it. But only 7 speed cassettes.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Thomas Lynn Skean
<thomaslynnsk...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I should point out... this was my first decent-length ride with Silver
> shifters, not friction. I rode with friction shifting for most of a decade as
> a teenager. Rode a lot, actually, compared to normal kid riding. While
> shifting then was never a big problem, it was something that I always to be
> better. Basically, I danced with friction while wanting indexing.
>
> Obviously Silvers are better than those shifters from my youth. And it's
> possible I too could get better at friction shifting now. But in comparing
> them directly now, even with Silvers, I still find I like dancing with
> indexing. Its small downsides are outweighed by its continually repeating
> upsides. Friction has technical merit in a world where index-compatibility is
> non-trivial to acquire. And perhaps there are riding styles or needs that I
> don't have that friction serves better. But for me friction's upsides are
> basically aesthetic and as of now don't overwhelm indexing's overall appeal.
> I might get better at it and/or might increase my desire for the aesthetics.
> I'll get in a few hundred miles of practice in the next few weeks.
>
> Yours,
> Thomas Lynn Skean

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM